Thursday, October 27, 2011

Graveyard Brownies

I volunteer at the library every Thursday to earn school service hours. Since it's almost Halloween, I figured I'd treat the other volunteers and the Youth Department workers to some goodies :) I had a chance to make them before I went today because I got out of school early for midterms. Plus, it was a good way to de-stress after those awful tests.

I saw these adorable brownies on What's Cookin' Italian Style Cuisine, and I knew they'd be perfect! I had to use Milano cookies though because I couldn't find the Windmills. I think they're still cute!

I used my trusty, never fail brownie recipe and the frosting to match, but you can use whichever recipes you'd like! I also LOVED making these because I'm addicted to those little pumpkins. I was eating them the whole time!
Here's the recipe...Enjoy!

Graveyard Brownies

For the brownies:
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1-2 c. of chocolate chips (or whatever mix in you prefer!)

For the frosting:
1/3 c. granulated sugar
3 T. all-purpose flour
2  T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
Optional: Additional cocoa powder as needed

To decorate:
Shredded coconut, tinted green with food coloring
Mellowcreme pumpkins
Milano cookies
Black gel icing

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8x8 in. pan with cooking spray. 

2.Combine melted butter and cocoa powder in a large bowl until smooth. Add the sugar and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt, and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips (or whatever you like!). Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes. Once finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

3. While the brownies bake, prepare the frosting. In a small saucepan, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, and milk; bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Boil for 1-3 minutes or until thickened like a thinned pudding.  Remove pan from heat and strain mixture into a small bowl. Cool completely in the refrigerator or freezer. 

4. Once the mixture has cooled, beat the butter in a separate bowl for 1 minute, then beat in the cocoa mixture for another minute. Lastly, add the melted chocolate and beat for 2 minutes, or until fluffy. Add extra cocoa powder to taste at this point, if you'd like!

5. When the brownies cool, cut them into pieces. Frost the brownies individually. Sprinkle some of the shredded coconut on the brownie (it's the grass!) then stick on a pumpkin. Break a small part off of one side of each Milano you use, so it looks like a tombstone. Write whatever you'd like on your Milano "tombstones" (I went with the simple "RIP"), then stick them into the frosting on top of the brownie, behind the pumpkin. 

Enjoy!

Serves 9-12


No comments:

Post a Comment